Thursday, April 18, 2013

Katie Drum Art Show Sensation!

A couple of years ago I did a post about Katie Drum, a local artist whose work is so dreamy and nostalgic, like visual fairy tales.  Tuesday I finally got to see her work in person and it was a great experience.  I love the different materials and processes Katie uses.  She told me about paints I was not familiar with and now I am excited to check them out.
I only had my Iphone on me so I apologize for the images but it gives you an idea of the scale of the work as well as the presentation.  The show is on display at Elgin Community College in Safety-Kleen Gallery 1 through May 18th. If you are anywhere near the area I really encourage you to stop in and see this work. It definitely inspired me to start drawing and painting again.
 On Katie's website she talks about the work and I really love this passage:

Currently, I enjoy collaging observations, daydreams, and memories through a variety of mediums to create new narratives. I am compelled by anything from old photographs to conspiracy theories, decorative design to childrens book illustrations, and meditation. Living primarily in a mundane, rural setting, I am often influenced by the minimal, bleak horizon line and expansive sky of the Midwest. 




See the rest of her site here and check out her blog! I just discovered it so I am excited to keep up with what she is doing.  Katie is a hard worker and a talented artist and is really going places!










No comments: