Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Art2Love

Before I start really digging into my SGC experience I want to share an artist's work that will blow your photographic mind! I met Kimberly Waite through her boyfriend Kyle Turner who is a grad school classmate. Kim studies photo in Bloomington, IN. When she put together this website I finally got to see the kind of work she was doing and I loved it. This is the kind of work that makes me wish I knew so much more about photography. Her layering and combinations of photo and drawing makes me salivate. And even though salivating is not very lady-like I'm not ashamed to admit it.
This particular body of work really caught my eye. It's titled:
A Lesson In Socioeconomics. This is Kim's statement:
This work was created through my experience of growing up in a blue-collar town. The imagery I am building spawns from a mix of personal situations, stereotypes, as well as statistics based around lower income households. Each piece expresses my interpretation of an issue that surrounds growing up or living in the lower tier of society. I approach topics such as labor, child care, health, religion, finances, leisure, etc. with familiarity as I attempt to represent the working class culture as I witness and interpret it.





See much much more from this body and others at Kim's website here.

No comments: