Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Corinne Day

Yesterday my good friend Andy called to tell me about the photographer Corinne Day who passed away after a long fight with cancer. I was not familiar with her work and he thought I should look her up. I'm so glad I did. She was best known for her work in the early nineties when the "heroin chic" look was popular. Not that I'm sad to see that look go, but I really do like her work. Many of the photos here were shot for various European Vogue publications and although they have that slick editorial look, they also have a roughness to them that you don't typically see in fashion magazines. Corinne's work reminds me of a slicker Nan Goldin. The fashion/art world lost a very talented person yesterday.
All of these images were taken from Corinne Day's website found here.











2 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I like that these photos actually seem like they want to tell a story even though ('scuse me) they are fashion / model shots? That they are really creative and unusual and not just "hey this jacket is nice and my legs are really skinny".

Amelia said...

wow - I didn't realise she had passed away. I discovered her work a few years back when in a book shop. It was a book of all her candid 'drug-hazy' friends snapshotted (?) on her camera. Raw, edgy, revealing depictions of a whole other life and existence, which like you say she maybe alludes to in her fashion shoots . . . .

Always one for being on top of the art info :)

Hope you are well.

Amelia.x