Saturday, April 3, 2010

Boring

I've always been a fan of Project Runway but never had the Bravo station. I was so excited for it to move to Lifetime because I could finally start watching it in real time. My excitement is going away though because I feel like the season is really lackluster. They keep eliminating the really interesting designers and the ones who are staying on top or either really boring or gimmicky. Or both. Each week I get so frustrated by the critiques of the clothes. I want fashion to be avant-garde, bizarre, strange, beautiful, exciting. Apparently Heidi Klum and co. just want a boring glittery dress that hugs the body. My friend made a good point that now that they moved to Lifetime they have a different target audience... potentially a more boring target audience? Bravo probably has a different crowd. Anyway, I'm sad, I'm bummed. I want to see amazing fashions and instead I see Seth Aaron practically designing exclusively for Hot Topic. Anyone else feel this way? I'm really curious about other opinions.

4 comments:

Malinda Jane said...

i feel like they don't give them a chance to be avant garde. every challenge is to design for the red carpet, a magazine cover, or for "regular people". what happened to making clothes out of candy, plants, or car parts? it seems that in earlier season they were expected to be more couture and now they're focused on how wearable the pieces are. do the winners still have their clothes sold on bluefly.com? maybe they're more worried about the final winner's mass appeal than who has the most vision.

Jennifer Hayes Hugon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Hayes Hugon said...

What a sad track for this show to take! I've only seen the first 4 seasons, and they were a blast because of the creativity and unique challenges. I hope they get their act together but you have a good point about the target audience. Poo. :(

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

Hmm. I'm not familiar with those tv channels but we get this in Sweden as well, on channel 3 which is a more "young" and cool channel, I guess. They also show America's next top model (and the spinoffs).