Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Monsters!








Next Tuesday for my professional practices class I'm suppose to do a thirty minute artist talk. I'm looking forward to this because I really hate public speaking but the one thing I really know how to talk about it my own work. I've been collecting some images to show off the internet so I thought I would share some with you. These are some things that inspire some of my monsters. I hope you enjoy!
Images are:
Mcfries from Mcdonalds
Beetlejuice
two scenes from the Sega Master System game Fantasy Zone 2
My favorite monster from Pan's Labyrinth
and someone who's work i've featured before but can't get enough of: Travis Millard.

2 comments:

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I'd love to hear you talk about your work!!!
Perhaps.... a little video post sometime?!?

clydebink said...

All of these "monsters" (I get the idea that this is an endearing term) seem similar to shamanic masks.
Every time I see a grey alien head, It really makes me feel uncomfortable and my senses are heightened. I think this is the desired result of a shamanic mask, to create an opening of belief in the viewer's skepticism by making their primordial self say "I don't think it's real, but I'm on guard just in case. . ." In this state, I think the viewer is more susceptible to significant memories which can change their perspective.